Aim: To test principles of water safety and simple rescue techniques especially for those whose lack of swimming skills precludes them from further lifesaving training.
Ratio - Recommended examination ratio 16:1 (Examiner should ensure that safety is paramount)
- An Instructor may examine this test.
- Oral Test:
- Personal Safety
- Hazards in open water situations
- Recognition of emergency situations
- Principles of simple rescue
- Correct follow-up procedures
- Demonstrate the following simple rescues:
- Voice Contact
- Use of Buoyant Objects, with no line attached. (Minimum distance 7 metres)
- Un-weighted rope (Minimum distance 7 metres)
- Ring Buoy
- Reaching Rescue
- As per Rescue Skills Manual
- Demonstration of simple rescue techniques, using scenarios. Recognition, Assessment, Action.
N.B. THE CANDIDATE IS NOT QUALIFIED TO ATTEMPT A SWIMMING RESCUE