Aim: To test principles of water safety and simple rescue techniques especially for those whose lack of swimming skills precludes them from further lifesaving training.
Ratio – Recommended examination ratio 16:1 (Examiner should ensure that safety is paramount)
- An Instructor may examine this test.
- Oral Test:
- Personal Safety
- Hazards in open water situations
- Recognition of emergency situations
- Principles of simple rescue
- Correct follow-up procedures
- Demonstrate the following simple rescues:
- Voice Contact
- Use of Buoyant Objects, with no line attached. (Minimum distance 7 metres)
- Un-weighted rope (Minimum distance 7 metres)
- Ring Buoy
- Reaching Rescue
- As per Rescue Skills Manual
- Demonstration of simple rescue
techniques, using scenarios.
Recognition, Assessment and Action.
(b) Minimum distance 7 metres.
(c) Minimum distance 7 metres
N.B. THE CANDIDATE IS NOT QUALIFIED TO ATTEMPT A SWIMMING RESCUE